shanlung (shanlung) wrote,

Tinkerbell Summertime2011 -Being with her Part 1 // 30th June - 2 July 2011


More photos in Flickr folder Tinkerbell Summertime2011 -Being with her Part 1

30th June 2011

I gave up Tinkerbell in 2004 after 3 glorious years with her from 2002-2004 recorded and archived in

The record of my painful handover of Tink to Yu was
Tinkerbell - The last day of this chapter

Tink remained in my heart and was visited by me in June 2005 in
Tinkerbell Revisited

In November 2006, I saw her again in Tinkerbell Interlude

In Dec 2007, another visit to Tinkerbell with my wife where I thought I lost her in BanTienYen
Lost & found - Bantienyen

Then in April 2008, another visit to Tinkerbell with my wife
Yingshiong & Tinkerbell - A good closure

The last visit to Tink was made with my wife in Mar 2009
Tinkerbell - Rhapsody in Spring 2009
Reflections on Tinkerbell //Smelling roses on mountains // Attack on my wife

That was over 2 years ago since I last saw her.
I was now back in Chiayi alone as my wife started on her job a few months ago and not able to take leave as yet.

I was met at the Chiayi High Speed Rail Station by Mr Yu.

I was part of the team that build this High Speed rail and this particular station. Which was why I was in Chiayi in the first place and got to know the Yu family that Tinkerbell is now an integral part of.

Tink was not with him. We went straight back to his house to keep my luggage. I have had my lunch already. By the time I came out of my room to see Tinkerbell, she was already harnessed up by Mr Yu.


Her harness did not look good. But I bend over backwards to accomodate the way Mr Yu looked after Tinkerbell. I could not and would not do anything that might be construed as criticsm.
I knew I could easily do much better harness. But would not do so until forced by later events.

Mr Yu was busy that day to complete some assignments. I was given back the bike that I gave him in 2004 as part of Tinkerbell's dowry. So I rode to his factory with Tink less than a klick away.

Shot outside his factory

kissed by sweet Tink

I then went with Tink in his car to do some rounds with his client. He told me the new car had no place to hang up the ring. I showed him photos of Riamfada on her swing in the car and how with shoelaces and Dyneema , a supporting line could be strung up. Riamfada loved the back seat. But the same could be done for Tink in the front. Yu laughed and said he would be doing that.

For the time being, Tink was content to be on the hand perch with the two of us.


We later dropped by our good friend Shi (Zorro) and have tea there.


See how Tink glug glug glug the tea. Which must be good tea or she would turn her nose against.

We then went to Mr Yu's temple. He was telling me of some event on 2nd July that the temple will be part of. My Chinese was not good enough to know exactly what that event was about, to my later regret as I was not prepared for that.


In front of main Deity Tsai Sun Yeh (God of Wealth).

Tink in front of another Diety, represented by a Golden Peacock. I do not think there is any connection with the Yezidi who also worship the peacock. There are many religions in Asia that venerate the peacock.


We later dropped by Mr Yu sister's place.

Tink in front of the altar of KuanYin, the Goddess of Mercy.
Where I was told in Dec 2007 that "Yuan Fen Tse Tau Tser Li"
But even predictions can be changed with strong human determination.

We then have dinner. It was getting very frustrating. I had no chance of buying dinner at all as the insistence I was a guest meant I could not have the chance of picking up the bill.

It was a good dinner at our favourite beef noodle shop from the time I was first introduced there in 2003 with the meeting of Yu family.

After which we went to a park in Chiayi. Where people with sax, trumpets and organ and with good voice would sing to appreciative crowds. Yu told me this was a regular nightly event.


Listen above and hear the sounds of Taiwanese singing away.

1st July 2011

The first day with Tinkerbell all to myself again.
She stuck her head readily into the green harness to be with me on the bike. As usual, I would ride to the factory to give courtesy call on Mr Yu. Then we rode off for my favourite breakfast of mi ger (sticky rice with savoury fatty pork bits) pai ku su (pork rib bits in soup). That was also a favourite of Tink who joined me taking her portion on top of overturned Mr Brown coffee can.

The bike had not felt good. That was my old bike and ten years old at that.
I rode that bike to the shop I bought it from. The guys there remembered me. At least they remembered Tinkerbell.

I told them I wanted the bike to be overhauled and all the parts that should be changed be changed. I was floored by the estimate of 5000 NT. But at about 28 NT to 1 USD, it was not that much. And I suspected Yu family never had the time or inclination to do what I wanted to do.

Since they refused to accept anything from me for the cost of staying with them (I offered 20k NT as about equivalent if I stayed in hotel), the least I could do was to do up the bike.

Which would take the entire day. So the shop gave me a small 50 cc bike. I found the important carrier could fit there. So the perch was cut off from the two rear view mirrors and fitted to the temporary bike with cable ties. I got to say cable ties were really useful.

The power was a lot less, and I decided not to go further than LangTang lake, a place I spend so much time with Tinkerbell.

So there we were again.


With Tink periodically doing recalls to me. She showed me she remembered everything. Flying to me on cue.

It was not easy to shoot flight photos. I got lots of photos with blur of Tink in the air or none of her at all.


It was not as if we did nothing but flights after flights.

We sat around most of the time just enoying that place.






Listen to the cicadas singing away

I noticed a tiny bald patch on Tinkerbell's throat. Nothing I could do about that and I hoped that would be temporary.

We rode off to find lunch. Found my usual lunch stalls have gone. And had to ride a bit further to a non descript place to have a quick lunch before going back to the LangTang reservoir. The 50cc gave barely enough power which made me reluctant to go anywhere further.

At 4pm rode back to the bike shop to pick up the old bike. A lot more power was back into the bike. The perch was again transplanted back to the rear view mirrors and made firm with cable ties.

We made our way back to Yu family.

Later that evening, we went to the stinking tofu shop that could be smelled down the road and not just across the road that I spoke about in

Soya beans// Feather Plucking //Alcohol

more on mind & tofu // Dommie at Omer//kitties// Riamfada and 3 turns on dime


Proud owner

35NT a portion

My enjoying every bit of it at Mrs Yu father house nearby.
Recently in an episode of Andrew Zimmern in his Bizarre Food program, I laughed despite my cracked ribs when I saw him gagging and defeated by the wonderfully delicious stinky tofu that he tried in Taipei. I bet what I had in Chiayi was a lot more fragrant, and even more delicious.



2nd July 2011

I now have that restored and more powerful bike all of 125cc. So with Tinkerbell we went over to the factory to say hi to Mr Yu. He reminded me of the event later in the afternoon. I still could not quite figure out what that event was except I needed to be back at his house shortly after lunch.

Which meant I could not ride far away. Not as if I was going to do so. My left hand was still weak. My bike accident made me a lot more cowardly. And I been through enough pain not to desire more pain to be inflicted on myself. I had thought of visiting that farmer with the blue magpies, except that was a long ride away and on steep roads up the mountain, something I felt beyond my ability then.

So after the usual breakfast, I decided to go to Chiayi park where my wife shot that early iconic shot of Tinkerbell.


I had to see if I could do better.

Woefully, I found I could not.

More photos in Flickr folder Tinkerbell Summertime2011 -Being with her Part 1




I tried and tried.

I failed.

A blackish bird with red beak on nearby tree took exception. And dived at poor Tinkerbell.



I decided that was enough and headed back home.

Mr Yu came back soon. I figured enough that event we would be going to would be crowded and that Tinkerbell would be more comfortable at home.

She had a comfortable room, and her safety always paramount.



I realised how crowded that event was going to be in Chiayi city when Mr Yu said it would be better we used one bike to go there. I rode pillion with him riding in front on my old bike.

Then at the assembly I realised what that even was.

Chiayi was hosting the World Association for Symphonic Bands and Ensembles (WASBE)
and a Mardi Gras march by through the city was going to take place that afternoon.
A time for video taking to catch the sight and sound. But because I did not realised that, my camera battery was not fully charged.

The temple was taking part as well, and we were to walk with the float.




The temple float

Peacock at front of temple float

More photos in Flickr folder Tinkerbell Summertime2011 -Being with her Part 1



Sweet elementary school girls in contigent just behind temple float


Temple float with ragtime/jazz band playing on float


On the temple float was a guy dressed up in ancient Chinese gown as the God of Fortune tossing candies over to the crowd while the band on the float played jazz and ragtime music. I just had enough power to take this video before the battery in the camera died and nothing more could be taken. Irony I had memory card of 4 Gig and another card of 4 Gig enough to take countless photos and videos. And no power in battery. Because I could not understand what the event was and failed to charge my battery earlier on.

The parade then started. And we wound our way down Main Street and through the streets of Chiayi. To the cheers of the huge crowd that lined the side of the road to enjoy the parade.

Read and hear and see more below. Those guys had more powerful batteries charged up whereas my tiny battery failed.

More photos in Flickr folder Tinkerbell Summertime2011 -Being with her Part 1

LiBai mash making.
About 300 grams of beef mince, with 200 grams of chicken mince and 150 grams of dried anchovies(for the calcium). That was all done up to the kitty mash formula I wrote about in
Pakistan//Tinkerbell Kitty Mash//Dommie at the beach Ramadhan 2010 //Villa walkabout 2
Instead of the almond and brazil nuts, about 100 grams of human grade groundnuts(peanuts) were used.

Making of Tinkerbell Mash
Morning with Harry & the decision// Sultan of Oman Palace// Tinkerbell Mash Batch 7

suri - Read "Conditioning clicker day 3 - and some tips on suris"

milli - read "Found the perfect treat and Yingshiong first "step up""

if you forgotten about clicker training

Tinkerbell Legacy - VH parrot and Clicker Training Rant 06

Some thoughts on clicker - The initial experience with Tinkerbell

Clicker training and bonding with Tinkerbell

To Shanlung-Charlie and clicker training

Charlie and clicker training - beyond touch target //LiBai on finger and in slow motion videos —



Read Riamfada free flights in villa // And around neighbourhood for explicit details

If what I wrote help you and you like to help, give a thought
for the wildlife sharing our planet.
Do write that cheque to Gerald Durrell wildlife trust

I am a life member of Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust. Do join us to do
whatever we can for the wildlife that shared our planet.
or to any wildlife conservation body of your choice

hit counter code

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.