Tinkerbell Legacy - Living with a flying parrot

  • 1
October is such a cruel month for me, and October 27 especially. On that day 17 years ago, my son died. October is cruel, because it looks so beautiful and promises joy, yet it
delivers the opposite. My son was also cremated, but to this day I am unable to turn loose his ashes. When the time comes, his ashes and mine will be set free on the sea to roam together the entire world. Which as I observe, will have higher tides and shorelines exploring deeper into each continent of the world. No tickets required.

It was meant for you to connect with him when you did. What a lovely send off for your friend. Blessings to him, and to you as well, for going with the flow of these events.

Dear Shan Lung

I lived in Singapore from 1983 until 1996. Phillip Little was my neighbor. He, and his motorbike were often at my house in Pender Road and we had many mutual friends. I was very fond of him, as were my two girls. Life is so strange. A few weeks ago we tried to find him on the internet. He had not kept in touch when he moved back to the UK and being a photographer, I felt certain he would have a website or an e-mail address. Of course he didn’t.

We are so sad that he has gone but cannot tell you how pleased we are that he regained consciousness after the accident and was able to see you and his other friends one last time.

Phillip once told me that during the war he had been evacuated to Exeter in the west of England – only about 60 miles from where I live now. The countryside is beautiful and quiet and the pace of life, slow and gentle, even now.

I am sad that he had no next of kin; I had thought he had an adopted family still in Exeter. I hope he has found peace.

I wish you and your family good luck with your new life and hope you find a place that fulfills your dreams.

With best wishes

Nicky Farr

Dear Shan Lung,
We are very sad to hear of the passing of Phillip. He was our neighbour in Pasir Panjang and we have always kept in touch since returning to the uk. We had wanted to catch up with him in malaysia when his exhibition " open your eyes" was showing. He was very proud of it. Unfortunately we didn't make it but had planned to meet up this year. When we didn't get a letter at Xmas we wondered if something had happened! He was always larger than life, great fun and a wonderful photographer who will be sorely missed by all his friends. It was only when we could not reach him by phone that we started looking for a new contact number on the internet even though he always said he wouldn't go on the internet as there was "too many buttons to push" so thank you very much for posting your thoughts and photos otherwise we may never have known.
Brian and Jill Sharpe

Dear Shan Lung

I knew Philip well. I worked with him often as I was a Creative Director in Singapore in the 80s and much of the 90s working in advertising. Philip accompanied me on a photography trip to Indonesia in the late 80s and came all the way over to Mauritius in 1997 for a hotel shoot. Whether on a shoot or meeting with the smarlty suited CEO, Philip always wore shorts. He would only go where the weather suited his clothes. Some of the pictures Philip took during that shoot are still used by the hotel to this day. He loved Mauritius, it was just his kind of place, a relaxed sunny lifestyle close to gorgeous beaches. On the last day of his trip to Mauritius he took a picture of me and my family which I still have, it's the best family picture we own. He was talking of leaving Singapore at that time, and I learned a lot later that he had settled in Malaysia, but he was extremely difficult to track down due to a reluctance to go online. For many years in the simpler, halcyon days of Singapore before it was discovered by internet billionaires, he was one of the most highly sought after photographers in Singapore, and he had a terrific eye for a shot. It's clear that right up to the end he still had the same boundless energy that made you believe he was many years younger than his chronological age. It's sad but really quite true to form that Philip should have met his end on a vehicle. He always had a rather precarious relationship with driving and riding. He drove around in Singapore for years without a licence, having several scrapes along the way. During his stay in Mauritius he made himself useful around my house with some DIY jobs. He loved it, and he bought a good quality Stanley hammer to bang in some nails and put up pictures. He kept telling me not to let him leave without it, but of course he forgot it, and I never saw him again. It remains a fond memento of the kind of Englishman they just don't make anymore, and may he rest in peace.

  • 1

Log in